It’s so important to have a strong Instagram presence nowadays, as it’s one of the main factors that brands consider when working with you. And, unless you’re a well-known celebrity, then growing your Instagram following is a process that takes a lot of time and focus. Your images need to be top notch and consistent. I’ve put together some of my top tips. P.S. if you’re a fellow blogger, request access to my exclusive Facebook group just for supporting bloggers. Thanks to Danielle from City Meets Southern for submitting this week’s blogging question.
1) Put hashtags into a comment. Adding relevant hashtags to every post is essential. However, this can look messy when in your caption. Instead, you should be the first one to comment on your post. I copy/paste this format into all of my posts. The bullet points make it so the comment gets hidden.
- #fashion #style #fashionbloggers #any other relevant hashtags…
2) Tag relevant brands. You should be tagging as many brands as possible in each of your posts. These could be the brands that you’re wearing or featuring, or accounts that frequently re-gram images (i.e. @StyleWatchMag or @OOTDMagazine). Move all the tags into one corner of your image.
3) Use location tags. Making your images local is another way to get more eyes on your post.
4) Timing is everything. Figure out what times of the day you get the most engagement and then consistently post only at those times.
5) Use a DSLR for high quality images. This really makes such a difference. Crisp, professional photos will set you apart. Remember, brands are always looking for great photos to re-post.
6) Choose clean backgrounds. Your backgrounds for flat lay style pictures should be consistent. If, like me, you don’t own a marble table or have a white washed wood floor, you can just buy a few photography backdrops. Ink & Elm specializes in backdrops that look just as good as the real thing (proof below).
7) Humor. Never underestimate the power of humor. Whenever I make a joke in a caption, I get way more comments. It’s all about being honest and authentic.
8) Promote your Instagram on your other social media accounts. If you have a large following on Facebook, try to get some of those fans over to Instagram as well.
9) Engage with similar accounts and reply to your comments. You want it to seem like there’s a person behind your brand.
10) Ask a question in your caption. This is another tactic that encourages your followers to engage with you.