Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal of the day. I love going out to eat for breakfast. Chicago has some amazing spots. However, going out for breakfast is more of a special occasion treat because it’s pricy, time consuming, and of course high in calories. With the right recipe, cooking at home can be almost as satisfying.
I took a classic french toast recipe and made it a whole lot healthier. This high protein, gluten free vanilla french toast is packed with protein and very little sugar, but you’d never know! It’s seriously delicious.
The star ingredient of this recipe is the BFree soft white sandwich loaf. It’s gluten free and vegan (although this recipe isn’t vegan by any means). BFree’s bread has natural ingredients and is only 70 calories a slice, therefore reducing the typical high calorie count that goes along with french toast.
Another one of my favorite ingredients for making guilt-free breakfasts is protein powder. A vanilla flavored one can be substituted for sugar in waffles, pancakes, and here french toast. It’s an easy way to add protein without sacrificing much taste. I used a whey protein powder in this recipe, but you could use any kind depending on your dietary needs.
- 5 slices of bread from a BFree Soft White Sandwich loaf (You can also double the recipe to make a larger batch and freeze for later.)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup of milk (I used 2%, but you could sub any kind)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, except for the butter.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a pan or skillet.
- Dunk the bread into the mixture so that both sides are fully coated.
- Cook the bread slices in the pan until both sides are as well done as you’d like
- Enjoy while warm. I use alternatives to high sugar maple syrup. Smucker’s makes a really great low sugar jam or the best option is just topping your french toast with some fresh fruit.
Thanks to BFree for sending me this delicious bread. You may have noticed on my Instagram that I’ve been trying out a bunch of BFree’s products. They have so many healthier options. I especially like the Quinoa and Chia Seed Wrap. I recommend trying out their products for yourself.